I have a puzzle that I need solving, please offer any suggestions via the comments at the bottome of this page or via my Twitter account
I currently have a 3TB Fibre Channel SAN which is local to a physical Veeam B&R Server. The intention is to move the Server and the 2.7TB of data on to my new Nimble SAN. How should I best move the backup data?
Current choices are:-
- P2V the whole thing into VMware over my 10Gb iSCSI network
- Recreate a new Veeam Server, and use Veeam tools to move the backup data
Any more thoughts or gottcha’s I haven’t thought about? Thanks guys..
Update, just 4 hours after posting this on Twitter:
Thank you to all who have offered their help, it looks like the plan is as follows:-
- Backup the current Veeam config
- Create a new virtual Veeam B&R server on Windows 2008
- Attach my new Nimble LUN
- Create a new SQL DB on my SQL 2008 server (which is external to Veeam)
- Restore the Veeam config files
- Then use the Veeam Repository migration method to shift the data to the new Nimble LUN
- I can then collapse my physical Veeam server and power off the FC SAN